I love to bake. While baking is a lot more exact than other kinds of cooking, I still try to find room to experiment. I tried out this recipe for New Years Eve and found it to be a great success. The original recipe was taken from the Martha Stewart Living Cookbook.
Ginger Lemon Almond Cookies
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. superfine sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup blanched sliced almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. with two racks centered. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add the egg; mix on high to combine. Add the zest; mix to combine.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, salt, crystallized ginger, and almonds. Add to the butter mixture; mix on low speed to combine.
3. Drop about two teaspoons of dough on cookie sheet, spacing each cookie about three inches apart. Place a piece of crystallized ginger and slivered almond on the top of each cookie. Bake for seven minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for another five to seven minutes.