Please excuse the incredibly shitty photo. For some reason I could not get my camera to focus today and my battery ran out before I could take more photos. I used the same recipe as before (see Homemade Vegan Poptart recipe) and this time I used apple butter that I made over the weekend as the filling. The apple butter turned out absolutely amazing, but I have so much of it. I have no idea what to do with all of it. Here is the recipe for the apple butter.
Adapted from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook
- 3 lbs. pink lady organic apples
- 1 cup water (Martha calls for apple cider, but I didn’t have any)
- 1-2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice mixture
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large havey buttomed saucepan; place over mdeium high heat and cook, sittiring often with a large wooden spoon to prevent scorching, until apples are broken down and saucy, about one hour. Mash any large pieces of apple with the wooden spoon.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until apples are completely broken down and butter is thick and dark, about 2 1/2 hours. Remove from heat and let stand to cool. Store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 1 month or frozen up to six months.