I first encountered Israeli couscous (a.k.a. pearl couscous) my freshman year at UC Santa Cruz. It was used instead of bulghur in a tabouleh dish. I loved it! I’m not a fan of regular couscous, something about the texture bothers me, but I really love Israeli couscous. It has a great texture and cooks very quickly.
- Trader Joe’s Israeli Couscous
- low sodium vegetable broth
- broccoli slaw (a mixture of broccoli stems and carrots)
- 9 chicken”less” strips (Trader Joe’s brand)
- balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 sun dried tomato and habañero tortilla (Trader Joe’s brand)
1. Put vegetable broth onto boil. Once the broth is boiling add couscous. It takes about five minutes to cook. Strain with a lid on top.
2. Microwave chicken”less” strips according to directions. You could also do this on the stove top, but I was hungry and wanted something quick.
3. Mix together couscous, chicken”less” strips, and broccoli slaw. Add salt, pepper, and balsamic vinaigrette. Eat with tortilla.