Most of the time food around my kitchen is not fancy. The fancy stuff I cook is for when people come over for dinner or when I really want to try a complicated recipe. For the most part, I’m happy with beans and rice, a poached egg, ramen, or oatmeal. Today wasn’t much different. I have a twenty something pound bag of white rice in cupboard that I’m trying to make use of. I don’t really like white rice. I find it bland, boring, and not very nutritious. However, I have it, it was free, and it doesn’t take long to cook. I also had a can of black eyed peas in my cupboard. So I came up with the idea of cooking black eyed peas with white rice.
White rice. Boring. I decided to vamp up my white rice by cooking it in some light coconut milk. Yes, coconut milk is high in saturated fat, but it’s a good saturated fat and I’m eating the light kind. What came out was incredibly fragrant, a little toasted, and much tastier than plain white rice.
Toasted Coconut Rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk (you can use full fat)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Bring coconut milk, salt, and rice to boil. Once the mixture is boiling, stir a bit, lower the temperature to low, and cover. Cook for about fifteen to twenty minutes. Rice should be fluffy with some sticking to the bottom of the pan to get crunchy and toasted (this was a complete accident on my part).
BBQ Black Eyed Peas
- 1 15 oz. can black eyed peas
- 2 tbsps. BBQ sauce (homemade or prepared)
- black pepper
- red chili pepper flakes
1. Rinse black eyed peas before adding to skillet. Do not rinse completely. The bean juice from the can will make a nice sauce. Add black pepper, red pepper flakes, and BBQ sauce . Stir and cook until heated.
Do not add salt when cooking the black eyed peas. Most canned bean products already contain a considerable amount of salt as does BBQ sauce.