Yesterday Andrew and I joined Peter, Susannah, and Matt for a BBQ. The main dish of the night was the BBQ chicken with pineapple, which I did not eat, but I’m sure was delicious. I made a pasta salad with seitan as well as two kinds of salsa. Andrew made tortilla chips baked in the oven. Peter and Susannah provided the chicken, wine, and sourdough bread.
Peanut Pasta Salad
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 pkg. rainbow rotini rice pasta
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- seitan sliced and marinated
- baby salad greens
Ingredients for Peanut Sauce
- 1/4 cup Better Than Peanut Butter (Trader Joe’s peanut butter made with peanut flour instead of peanuts)
- soy sauce
- teriyaki sauce
- red chili paste
- lemon juice
- sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic
1. Boil water for pasta. Add pasta once water is boiling. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and rinse with cold water immediately. Rinsing is very important for rice pasta since it tends to get gummy and mushy very quickly.
2. Once the pasta has cooled mix together pasta, brocolli, baby salad greens, and carrots.
3. Whisk together ingredients for peanut sauce. Slice seitan into very small pieces. Put half the sauce in one bowl and add seitan. Let marinate for about five minutes. Heat a small frying pan with some sunflower oil. Add seitan and cook until heated through.
4. Add seitan to pasta and vegetable mixture. Add the remaining sauce and stir until coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Fresh Tomato Salsa
- three small tomatoes chopped roughly
- 1/2 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped with seeds
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1. Add ingredients to food processor. Pulse until desirable size. I like mine very small so I let it go for a while.
Fresh Tomato Salsa with Pineapple
- 3 small tomatoes chopped roughly
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped roughly
- 1 poblano pepper chopped roughly with seeds
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- pineapple chunks
1. Add ingredients to food processor. Pulse until desired size.